In The Know
Saturday, October 15, 2005
Interview with Nikki Woods - author of Easier Said Than Done
Please introduce yourself to the readers.Well, my name is Nikki Woods and I am originally from St. Louis but have lived in Chicago for almost eight years. I am a former educator but now work as the morning show co-host at the number one radio station in the city. Easier Said Than Done is my first published book but I have been writing all of my life. I am currently finishing up my second and third novels. I am an avid reader as well and am working on starting a literary foundation.
What makes your books stand out from the rest?
One thing, I wanted to do with this book is provide a detailed backstory for the main character, Kingston. There are flashbacks of her life throughout the book and a lot of what happens in her past builds the foundation for the book. That’s what keeps me hooked as a reader. I love modern day drama but I also want to know how the characters got to where they are. I’m just nosey like that and it crosses over to my writing.
Are any of your characters based on people you know?I think my characters are a compilation of people I know. The closest character to a “real” person in my life is Mama Grace – Kingston’s grandmother. She embodies the same strength and character of my grandmother. But that’s about where it ends. I do think that all my characters from Kingston to Keela and even Essence – as trifling as she may be – is like someone you know. They are real characters.
What is your opinion on the current state of women's fiction?It is wonderful to see the growth in this genre, especially among African American women. There are so many voices out there that need to be represented and I think such authors are attracting an untapped readership. I may not agree or enjoy every “voice” but I think that it is important that they are represented.
How do you balance writing with your "every day life?"Balancing all the responsibilities in my life is like walking a tightrope. I’m a wife, mother of two boys (3 and 2), and radio personality, which takes up a lot of time. Add all in my outside projects and it gets nuts. But you make time for things that are important to you and writing is a top priority so I schedule at least two hours per today. More if I can swing it.
Who are some of your favorite authors?
Tayari Jones, Kimberla Lawson Roby, Colin Channer, BeBe Moore Campbell, Jamaica Kincaid, Toni Morrison, and James Patterson just to name a few. I have discovered a few new authors recently that I am really enjoying.
If your life was a reality show, what would be the title and why?Living on the edge of crazy because I am juggling so many balls that I wonder at the end of the day how I got it all done. But God is good and he works it out.
How can readers learn more about your books and get in contact with you?You can visit me online at
www.NikkiWoods.com. You can check for upcoming appearances, pre-order the book, find out about my upcoming books and sign the guestbook. I look forward to hearing from you and love email me!
Posted by Shelia ::
9:55 PM ::
0 Comments:
Post / Read Comments
-------------------------------------